The Mount Zion Baptist Church and Adjacent African-American Cemetery Site (1877). The Mt. Zion Baptist Church was organized to serve the growing African-American community of Davenport Town, a small community situated on the eastern edge of Smyrna. In 1877, the Rev. George Lloyd and others organized this church. The first pastor was the Rev. Harper Hines. When he stepped down, George Lloyd became pastor, according to church history. The adjacent neglected African-American Cemetery site was recently slated for development. An effort is underway to persuade the city to purchase and restore what is left of this discontinued burying ground.
The Mount Zion Baptist Church African-American, as remodeled in the early 1950s to accommodate a white congregation. The building no longer stands
A sign reflecting an earlier attempt to restore the African-American cemetery
 The Hensley-Porch House. This was the home of Paul and Ober Hensley. Mrs. Hensley was a close friend of the diarist Bess Terrell amd Ober’s name appears repeatedly on the pages of that diary. Paul Hensley, born in 1896, was a graduate of Georgia Tech, and was the Cobb County Surveyor hired by the City of Smyrna to determine the precise city limits. Ober Hensley, was a realtor, who served as Smyrna’s City Clerk in the 1946-47 period. Women began to fill public office during World War II period. It is notable that of 14 City Clerks who have held the office since 1943, all but one has been a woman.
The Hensley-Porch house, 1469 Roswell Street
 The Anderson/ Pritchett/ Scoggins house
The first owner of record was Elmer Anderson. This is the house that the Anderson’s traded for the Anderson-Davis house in 1938 [site 27]. In the 1930s it was the home of Mr. & Mrs. Lewis Pritchett. Mr. Pritchett owned a barber shop in Atlanta. He commuted to his place of business by streetcar as did many residents of Smyrna in the 1930s. During the Pritchett’s period of ownership rooms in this house were rented to boarders. Then for the next quarter century this was the home of Smyrna City Council member Bill Scoggins, who served from 1988 to 2007.
The Anderson-Scoggins House, ? Roswell Street
 The Ellis/ George House site – A large Dutch Colonial, the Ellis/ George house stood immediately north of the Hamby House. It was taken down some years ago and its second floor wooden walls were incorporated into the Village Green Tavern in Market Village. This was the house in which Mayor Max Bacon’s grandfather, Robert Bacon, a railroad employee, and his family resided when they first settled in Smyrna in 1923.
Here we see the only picture of the Ellis-George House known to exist, a faint photo taken in the 1960s.
Mr. & Mrs. Robert H. Bacon, the grandparents of Smyrna Mayor A. Max Bacon. They resided in the Ellis-George House when they first moved to Smyrna in 1923
 The Gray-Hamby House, 1312 Hamby House (1906) –Mr. W. T. Gray constructed this house in 1906, but sold it less than three years later. The property was acquired in 1917 by David C. and Jennie Gamble Hamby and has continued to be occupied by members of the Hamby family for the past 98 years. Clayton Belk Hamby, its long-time owner, was one of this couple’s eleven children. The current occupants are Sam and Sandy Hamby. Interestingly, a member of the Hamby family told local historian Pete Wood in 2006 that he remembered a chain gang working along Roswell Street in the 1920s. Prison labor was widely utilized in Georgia in that period. The city budget of the time, it should be borne in mind, was miniscule. In the mid-1920s, for example, the budget stood at a mere $7500, but the city of that period provided few services. Roads were largely unpaved and unlit, there was as yet no town water, the schools charged tuition and families of means often sent their children to Marietta for schooling, fire protection was rendered by a largely unreliable volunteer force whose members often failed to respond when called, the city’s police force consisted of just one day-time and one night-time officer, and congested Atlanta Road was serviced by a single traffic light at the East Spring Street intersection.
The Clayton Belk Hamby House at 1312 Roswell Street
 The Pace-Edwards House (before 1904). This Folk Victorian Gable and Wing cottage, dating from before 1904, was built by Dr. W. T. Pace, Smyrna’s only physician, perhaps speculatively. The first owner of record was T. W. Gray who held the property from 1904 to 1907. In 1918, a future mayor, Patrick Edwards, a wholesale grocer by trade moved in. It was during Edwards’ eventful mayoralty, in the late 1920s, that Smyrna adopted its first zoning ordinances and installed a public water supply system.
The architecturally distinctive Pace-Edwards House at 1308 Roswell Street
 1907 Smyrna Depot – Here, at East Spring Street adjacent to the tracks, a new depot was built in 1907 by the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railroad (which had absorbed the Western & Atlantic line in 1890). The proximity of the Williams Park Neighborhood to this depot attracted many railroad employees and their families to the neighborhood. With the discontinuance of passenger service the depot was rendered much less serviceable, and the structure was accordingly demolished in 1957. The current Smyrna Museum building, constructed on an adjacent lot in the late 1990s, replicates the external appearance of the 1907 Smyrna Depot.
The 1907 Smyrna Depot
 The Elizabeth Street/ Railroad Alley African American Neighborhood. In the decade of the 1920s and 30s a small African-American neighborhood existed on Elizabeth Street, and along an intersecting roadway called Railroad Alley which extended to Atlanta Road in what is now the Williams Park neighborhood. Here resided the largest concentration of black families residing within the boundaries of the the city, which was then consisted of less than one square mile. This small African-American neighborhood disappeared by the 1940s, however. Several factors contributed to its demise—a 1927 Smyrna ordinance forbidding blacks from living within 200 yards of white residents, the city’s refusal to allow the African American residents of the area neighborhood to establish a church of their own, frequent Ku Klux Klan marches through the neighborhood, but especially the October 1938 Smyrna Race Riot, in which a mob estimated at 500 to 600 rampaged through the streets of the Smyrna and neighboring black Davenport Town neighborhood attacking blacks and damaging their homes and burning down a recently Cobb County-built African-American schoolhouse.
One of the homes on Elizabeth Street that was damaged in the 1938 Smyrna Race Riot
The front page of the Marietta Daily Journal describes the October 1938 Smyrna Race Riot
 The Dempsey Farm – Most of Smyrna’s residents in the antebellum era earned their livelihood from farming. At least one of these farmers, Lazarus Dempsey, also engaged in the lumbering business. The Dempsey farm, located just south of Spring Street, comprised some 40 acres, including a valuable 30 acre stand of timber, which the enterprising farmer cut and fashioned into ties for the Western and Atlantic Railroad. The W&A, which turns southeast just below Spring Street passed right through the center of Mr. Dempsey’ acreage. In July 1864, following the Battle of Smyrna, a contingent of General Sherman’s army briefly camped on the Dempsey Farm. These troops demolished Mr. Dempsey’s three-room farm house and then harvested his timber for use in the construction of fortifications. In 1872 Lazarus filed a claim with the U.S. government for $800 in damages (a substantial sum at that time), asserting that he’d never embraced the Confederate cause. The government, however, rejected this claim. The fact that his son, the Reverend Alvin Green Dempsey had served as a chaplain in the Confederate army, and was even then prominently involved in efforts to wrest control of the state from the Radical Republicans rendered the elder Dempsey’s claims more than a tad suspect. No known images of the Dempsey property are known to exist.
The Reverend Alvin Green Dempsey, son of Lazarus Dempsey, strongly opposed the federal reconstruction program. Reverend Dempsey served in 1868 as the pastor of the Smyrna Methodist Church
 The Durham-Phagan House (1917) –This house was the residence of Truman Durham and Lizzie Phagan Durham, aunt and uncle of the young girl, Mary Phagan, that Jewish merchant Leo Frank was charged with murdering in 1914 in the basement of the pencil factory that he managed in Atlanta. Frank was found guilty in a highly prejudicial trial and sentenced to death. When Georgia Governor John M. Slaton commuted Frank’s sentence to life imprisonment, an organized mob broke into the Milledgeville State Prison, kidnapped Frank with the cooperation of prison officials, transporting him to Marietta, Mary Phagan’s home town, where he was lynched at a site not far from where Marietta’s landmark Big Chicken sign now sits.
The Durham-Phagan House on East Spring Street
The Durhams neice, the murdered Mary Phagan
The 1915 Leo Frank lynching in Marietta
 Thomas Lee Hamby House (1902) –Thomas Lee Hamby, a railroad engineer, built this large house with a circular porch in 1902. T. L. Hamby also served on the City Council in the 1920s. This was one of the most elegant houses of its day in Smyrna.
The Thomas Lee Hamby House on Spring Street
 The Smyrna Museum – As part of the Downtown Redevelopment Project, the city established the Smyrna Museum in a building that replicates, in its external appearance, the 1907 Smyrna Depot which had been casually demolished in 1957. The Smyrna Historical & Genealogical Society, founded in 1985 under the leadership of Betty and Harold Smith, administers the museum.
The Smyrna Museum, 2861 Atlanta Road
 Aunt Fanny’s Cabin – The Smyrna Welcome Center was once a world-famous, Southern-themed restaurant named Aunt Fanny’s Cabin. The restaurant, which closed in 1994, was originally located a few miles away on Campbell Road. In 1941 Isoline Campbell MacKenna converted an existing 1890s-era cabin on her family’s estate into a country store to sell preserves and produce grown and produced on the Campbell family farm. The cabin was later converted to a restaurant. By 1945 this restaurant, under different ownership, had established itself as “a place to eat and be seen” and attracted famous celebrities from around the world. It was expanded several times over the years and eventually seated 800 customers. During its five decades of operation Aunt Fanny’s Cabin Restaurant was visited by movie stars, sports figures, politicians and other celebrities. The 1890s cabin and 1940s terrace room were moved to the current location on Atlanta Road, adjacent to the Smyrna Museum, in 1998 and refurbished for use as the Smyrna Welcome Center.
Aunt Fanny’s Cabin. Originally located on Campbell Road, now serves as the City of Smyrna Welcome Center
Isolene Campbell, founder of Aunt Fanny’s Cabin Restaurant, daughter of wealthy coal dealer Richard Orme Campbell
A member of the Aunt Fanny’s Cabin African-American wait staff taking an order, c. 1950
 Smyrna Academy – The Smyrna Academy, a private tuition-based school which in its day drew its students from far and wide was founded in the late 1840s. It was first housed in a building that stood near the northwest intersection of Atlanta and Concord Roads, but in the early 1850s was relocated to a brick structure situated a few hundred feet northwest of the original location—a structure that measured thirty-two by forty-four feet and faced south toward the Smyrna Campground, backing up to present day West Spring Street. With the coming of the Civil War, the flourishing institution suspended operations to allow its male students to enter the service of the Confederacy. The school was reestablished after the war, but eventually became a public school housing both elementary and a high school divisions. Later, in the 1920s, the city, sold the academy structure to the Nelms Masonic Lodge. The building was taken down in 1957 to make way for a new headquarters for the Masons. This was the most important public structure in Smyrna at the time of the town’s founding in 1872. The boundaries of Smyrna (then concentric in shape) were measured out from this central pivot.
The Smyrna Academy building, as it appeared in the early 1900s, when it housed the Smyrna High School
 The Pearl Springs Cannery – In the early 20th century with a decline in the profitability of cotton, many Smyrna area farmers added orchard products and berries to their output. The countryside hereabouts was filled with orchards. The processing of the area’s fruit was carried on at the Pearl Springs Cannery, founded in 1908, located on West Spring Street in what is now Market Village. The building later served as the headquarters of the Smyrna Fire Department.
The Pearl Springs Cannery building after its conversion into the headquarters of the Smyrna Fire Department
 The Smyrna Campground & Brush Arbor Site (1833) The Smyrna Campground, established in the early 1830s, was the historical cradle of Smyrna,. This was where local residents gathered in the early years to hear itinerant ministers preach the gospel. The campground was situated on acreage just south of today’s Market Village, enclosed on the east by Atlanta Road, on the south by Concord Road, on the north by West Spring Street, and on the west by Davis Street. Religious services were in the early years conducted under a brush arbor, described as “a crude temporary shelter of poles with brush roof, boards, and other available material.” While built by the Methodists, it was also available for the use of other denominations. The name given the campground, Smyrna, was biblical in origin. It was taken from the Book of Revelations and was the name of one of Paul the Apostle’s seven churches in Asia. About 1846, a permanent log Methodist church building was constructed on the Campground. The precise location of the brush arbor and the 1846 log church are uncertain. Subsequent Methodist churches built on the campground acreage included a building, erected after the Civil war, that stood on the north side of Church Street midway between Atlanta Road and King Street; an 1882 structure at the same site; and a handsome 1911 edifice that stood at the northwest corner of Atlanta Road and Church Street, noted for its beautiful stained-glass windows. The present Methodist Church at 1315 Concord Road, dating from 1967, also lies within the parameters of the original Smyrna Campground.
The artist’s conception of the Smyrna Campgound brush arbor, which is said to have stood near the corner of Church and King Street
 Smyrna Water Supply Tower – It was during the mayoralty of Patrick Edwards (1926-29) that the city installed a municipal water system that included a water tower situated directly behind the Smyrna Memorial Cemetery. Effective fire fighting became possible only after this water system was installed. The periodic water shortages the city had experienced in past years became ceased and public health was greatly improved. This water tower, which stood until the 1980s, was fed chiefly from deep wells situated in the Williams Park neighborhood, possibly fed by the very spring from which Spring Street and Spring Road derive their names.
The landmark Smyrna water tower, erected in 1928. It was taken down in 1986
 Second Bank of Smyrna (1946). The Second Bank of Smyrna, incorporated in the prosperous post World War II era, at first occupied a location very near where the First Bank had stood, but in 1956 moved to a large lot at southwest corner of Atlanta Road and Memorial Place, a parcel that had been cleared of a number of historic structures including the Smyrna Hotel, D. C. Osborne’s Service Station, and some private residences. The Wells Fargo Bank now occupies this site. The bank’s officers at the time of incorporation were local businessmen W. P. Gresham (President) and B. F. Reed, Jr. (Vice President). The bank’s opening capital stock was a modest $55,000.
With the collapse of Smyrna’s first bank in the 1920s, owing to the destruction of the cotton crop by the boll weavel infestation, the city was without a banking institution of its own until 1946, when the Second Bank of Smyrna was established
The founding Board of Directors of the Second Bank of Smyrna
 The Smyrna Hotel (1911) – Colonel B. T. Fry purchased the 1882 Methodist Church building in 1911 and moved the structure a short distance to the north, where he converted it into a 15-room hotel at a time when Atlanta Road was slated for incorporation into the Dixie Highway, the principal artery by which tourists traveling back and forth from the Midwest to Florida would pass through Cobb County. A portion of the hotel, saved from demolition in 1954, still stands adjacent to the Gautschy House.
The Smyrna Hotel is visible here just beyond the Smyrna Garage, one of seven gas stations located in the downtown by 1930
 Smyrna Methodist Church (1911) – The architecturally distinctive 1911 Methodist Church was the most impressive structure in Downtown Smyrna in its day. Notable for its handsome Neo-Classical architecture and beautiful stained glass windows, this edifice stood at the corner of Atlanta Road and Church Street marking the southern entryway to the downtown from 1911 until its unfortunate demolition in 1967.
The handsome 1911 United Methodist Church building
 Smyrna First Baptist Church Chapel  – This architecturally distinctive structure, built of Stone Mountain granite, located at the northeast corner of Church and King Streets, dates from 1924. The congregation moved from its previous home at the northeast corner of Atlanta Road and Powder Springs Street after a fire damaged its original home [see No. 7]. The “Stone Church,” as it was called, was renamed the First Baptist Church Chapel when the current First Baptist Church building was dedicated in 1962.
The 1924 First Baptist Church building
 The Gautschy House (1911)- With the coming of Prohibition to Georgia in 1908, local distiller and German immigrant Henry Gautschy was obliged to give up manufacturing liquor at his Chrystal Springs Distilley at the corner of Concord and King Spring Road, and moved with his family into downtown Smyrna. Mr. Gautschy had hoped to set himself up as a store keeper. He also built himself this unusual Teutonic-style residence, which still stands adjacent to the CVS pharmacy, but his storekeeping venture proved unsuccessful and within a few years moved to Florida where he spent the remainder of his life. Oral tradition holds that the former liquor-dealer and his family were blackballed by the town’s “respectable” element, the members of the local Baptist and Methodist Churches, denominations that had long done battle with the area’s liquor interests.
Henry Gautschy’s Chrystal Springs Distillery at the corner of Concord and King Springs Road
The Gautschy House in downtown Smyrna, dating from 1911
 The Smyrna Presbyterian Church – The Smyrna Presbyterian Church, dating from 1874, first utilized the Smyrna Academy building for its services, but the congregation disbanded in 1905. The church was reinstituted in 1913 in a building on the east side on Memorial Place, opposite the Smyrna Memorial Cemetery. The congregation moved to a new nearby structure on Atlanta Road in 1965, and is now located in a much expanded facility 3130 Atlanta Road.
The Smyrna Presbyterian Church on Memorial Place, across the street from the Smyrna Memorial Cemetery.
 The Pace Family Homestead – The politically prominent Pace family of Smyrna resided in a structure that stood on the east side of Atlanta Road, opposite the Church Street intersection in what is now the Jonquil Plaza.. Three generations of this family held the office of Mayor of Smyrna: John T. Pace, 1901-1906 and 1908; his son, Dr. William T. Pace (the town’s principal physician), 1912; and Dr. Pace’s daughter, Lorena Pace Pruitt, 1945-48. Mrs. Pruitt was also the first female mayor in the history of Georgia.
A Pace family reunion held at the Pace Homestead in 1900
Lorena Pace Pruitt, who served as Mayor of Smyrna from 1945 to 1948, Georgia’s first female mayor.
 The Jonquil Plaza Site – By the 1950s the economic well-being of the Smyrna’s downtown had been severely compromised by a combination of severe traffic congestion on Atlanta Road and inadequate parking in the downtown. With the goal of relieving this congestion, a new mall, Jonquil Plaza, was laid out in 1957 on the east side of Atlanta Road just south of the business district. While the new plaza provided some additional parking, the fundamental problems of too little parking and traffic congestion in the downtown remained, and thus Jonquil Plaza represented little more than a stopgap measure.
Site of the Jonquil Plaza, including the Pace Homestead, before the development of Jonquil Plaza
Grand opening of the Jonquil Plaza Shopping Center, 1957
 The Morris-Reed House  – The Morris-Reed House was built in 1910 by Benjamin Franklin Walker, a Smyrna City Council member, landowner, and real estate dealer. The most elaborate private residence in Smyrna’s emergent Creatwood neighborhood, south of the old downtown, this imposing residence enhanced the already upscale character of that enclave. The estate passed through the hands of several distinguished residents over the years, most notably J. Gid Morris, owner of Smyrna’s premier agricultural establishment, Belmont Farm [see number 5]. Morris served as mayor of both Marietta and of Smyrna at various points. The Morris family held the property from 1918 to 1954. The other notable owner was Raymond Reed, a leading Cobb County attorney, businessman, and progressive state legislator in the late 1940s and 1950s, who resided here until his death in late 2014. The Morris-Reed House was recently purchased by the City of Smyrna and is currently undergoing restoration.
The elegant Morris Reed House, built in 1910
John Gideon Morris (1847-1936), Mayor of Smyrna from 1925 to 1926 with his wife Mary Wing Morris. They owned the house for three decades
The Reed family in 1957 playing host to author Mazie Whifield Nelson, who had recently published the first published history of Smyrna
 The Creatwood Neighborhood – In the last years of the 20th century several prominent West End Atlanta families established country houses in an area about a mile south of downtown Smyrna, to which they gave the name Creatwood was eventually given, an acronym based on the first letter of each of five family names: Crowe, Ray, Eubanks, Anderson, and Taylor. Other prominent families that settled in this upscale neighborhood included the Campbells and the Brawners.
The Creatwood Streetcar stop at the Brawner Hospital
 The Taylor-Brawner House –In 1890 Micajah Taylor, a railroad executive, built this country residence, which is the only one of the original Creatwood properties still standing. The Taylors owned some 300 acres of adjoining land. In 1908 Dr. James Brawner bought the house along with 80 adjoining acres and founded the Brawner Psychiatric Hospital hare. When the hospital closed in 1999 the entire complex was acquired by the City of Smyrna. By that time it had fallen into disrepair and seemed destined for demolition. Through the efforts of the Taylor-Brawner Foundation, a group of local preservationists, this historic residence was saved and returned to its original appearance, a project funded a half million dollars of private donations. Here is held the very popular annual art shows sponsored by the foundation. The interior of this historic property has been faithfully renovated with period furnishings. The five-room interior features a grand foyer, elegant dining room, meeting room, artifact room, and kitchen, and is available for historic tours by appointment.
Micajah Taylor, one of the founders of Smyrna’s Creatwood neighborhood
The Taylor-Brawner House, following its restoration by the Tayor-Brawner Foundation
 Brawner Hall  – Dr. James Brawner, established his famous psychiatric hospital, the Brawner Sanitarium, here in 1910. This was the leading privately-owned mental health facility in the United States for many decades. The hospital went of business in the late 1990s, whereupon the City of Smyrna acquired the property. This sprawling Greek Revival style main building, recently restored by the city, now known as Brawner Hall, provides space for two city departments, a banquet hall, training classrooms, and rooms for rent. Both Brawner Hall and the Taylor Brawner House are situated at the center of the 10-acre Taylor-Brawner Park, the most popular component in Smyrna’s excellent park system.
Dr. James Newton Brawner, founder of the Brawner Psychiatric Hospital
1975 view of the Brawner Hospital with Virginia Medlin, Director of Nursing and David Miller, Chief Administrator and grandson of Dr. James Newton Brawner
 The Crowe Dairy and the Guernsey Jug Restaurant (c. 1900) – Another of these early Creatwood residents, Dr. Walter A. Crowe, a professor at the Southern Medical College and leading Atlanta obstetrician, established the Creatwood Dairy on the east side of Atlanta Road just beyond the Taylor-Brawner property soon after the turn of the 20th century. The Creatwood Dairy became one of the largest facilities of its kind north of Atlanta. The Guersey Jug Restaurant, owned and operated by the Crowe family, stood across heavily traveled Dixie Highway (Atlanta Road) from the dairy. This popular eatery served food produced on the Crowe property and advertised itself as “the best place to eat between Miami and Chicago.”
Dr. Arthur Crowe, prominent Atlanta obstetrician, one of the founders of Creatwood. It was on his estate that the Crowe Dairy was established in the early 20th century
The Guernsey Jug Restaurant was built on the Crowe Dairy acreage in 1933. It was originally located directly on Atlanta Road where it served as a rest stop for Dixie Highway. The building was moved several hundred feet to its current location, where it now functions as the clubhouse of the Heritage of Vinings Community.